This website or mobile application is operated by the Angus King for U.S. Senate Campaign (“Angus King 2012″). This Privacy Statement explains how personal information is collected, used, and disclosed by Angus King 2012 with respect to your use of this website and mobile applications which display this Policy so you can make an informed decision about using the website. We reserve the right to change the provisions of this Privacy Statement at any time. We will alert you that changes have been made by indicating at the end of this Privacy Statement the date that it was last updated. We encourage you to check the Privacy Statement from time to time to be sure that you understand how any personal information you provide will be used.
At Angus King 2012, we take reasonable measures to protect your personal information in an effort to prevent loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. We use a variety of physical and electronic security measures to protect our computers and the information stored on them. We must advise you, however, that no system of safeguards is absolutely secure against unauthorized penetration or misuse, and that we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit via this Web Site.
As you explore our website, we encourage you to provide us with information about yourself, so we can contact you with the latest news about Angus King 2012. However, you will always be able to decide how much, if any, personal information you’d like to provide. And you will always be able to unsubscribe from our email database quickly and easily through the link provided at the bottom of every e-mail that we send.
Our website has a number of security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse or alteration of the information under our control. Our computer systems have restricted access limited only to those persons and organizations necessary to its proper functioning. This access applies to all electronic and physical security measures. Highly sensitive data including credit card information is additionally secured through the use of encryption, such as the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol. Our servers are located in a locked, secure environment.
The term “personal information” as used in this Statement means information that specifically identifies an individual, such as name, address, telephone number, email address, or credit card number. The term does not include information from which individual identity information has been removed and then aggregated, such as information about categories of users who use the site, or website. On registration and sign-up on www.angus2012.com, we may ask for your name, address, telephone number, and email address. We may also ask who, if anyone, referred you to the site so that we can credit those who are organizing volunteer support for Angus King for U.S. Senate. On occasion, we may also use the information that you provide online to contact you for other purposes or to solicit you for contributions. In addition, for contributions to the Campaign, federal law requires us to use our best efforts to collect and report to the Federal Election Commission the name, mailing address, occupation and name of employer of individuals whose contributions exceed $200 in an election cycle. We will not sell or exchange your credit card information to any third party under any circumstances.
We use your personal information (such as name, address, telephone number, mobile number, e-mail address) collected through the site for the purposes described in this policy. For example we may use personal information we collect:
- To provide mandatory reporting to the Federal Election Commission, as described in the Third Party section below;
- To provide the information, services, or products you request, and to process and complete such requests;
- To send you confirmations, receipts, updates, alerts, and support and otherwise facilitate your use of, and our administration and operation of the site;
- To notify you about important changes to the site;
- To send you newsletters and otherwise provide you with information or services you request or that we think will be of interest to you, such as sending you information to keep you informed about issues, events, resources, products and services;
- To help manage the campaign and to connect you with other supporters, and to solicit volunteers, donations and support;
- To remind you to send in your voter registration form and to vote;
- To assist you in finding your registration information, polling location, and campaign events near you;
- To contact you if other information is necessary for mandatory reporting under Federal election laws;
- To request feedback and to otherwise contact you about your use of the Sites;
- To respond to your emails, submissions, questions, comments, and requests; and
- To monitor and analyze site usage and trends, and to personalize and improve the Site and our users’ experiences on the Site and with the campaign, such as providing content, or features that match your interests, and to increase the Site functionality and user friendliness.
What Personal Information Do We Share With Third Parties?
It is our policy not to share the personal information we collect from you through our Site with third parties, except as described in this Policy Statement or as otherwise disclosed on the Site. For example, we may share personal information as follows:
- With vendors, consultants, and other service providers or volunteers who are engaged by or working with us and who need access to such information to carry out their work for us;
- With candidates, organizations, groups or causes that we believe have similar political viewpoints, principles or objectives;
- To report required information to the Federal Elections Commission, including name, mailing address, occupation, and name of employers of individuals whose contributions exceed $200 in a calendar year. These records are available to the public. (For additional information, visit the FEC website at http://www.fec.gov);
- When you give us your consent to do so, including if we notify you on the Sites, that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information;
- When we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorized or required to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to comply with the law or legal processes or respond to lawful requests, claims or legal authorities, including responding to lawful subpoenas, warrants, or court orders;
- When we believe in good faith that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to respond to claims or to protect the rights, property or safety of our users, our employees, our volunteers, copyright owners, third parties or the public, including without limitation to protect such parties from fraudulent, abusive, inappropriate, or unlawful activity or use of our Site; and
- To enforce or apply this Policy, our Terms of Service, or our other policies or agreements.
If you sign an online petition, all information connected with the petition is public information. Your name, address, and any comments you provide in connection with the petition may be disclosed by the Campaign to the public generally, and to specific national and state officeholders or government agencies, and the press.
Information on Children
We comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (COPPA). COPPA and its accompanying FTC regulations establish United States federal law that protects the privacy of children using the Internet. We do not knowingly contact or collect personal information from children under 13. Our site is not intended to solicit information of any kind from children under 13, and we have designed our sites to block our knowing acceptance of information from children under 13 whenever age-related information is requested. Parents with question may e-mail us at email@example.com
IP Addresses and Log File Data
We log your IP address, which is the location of your computer or network on the Internet, for systems administration and troubleshooting purposes. We also use page hits in the aggregate to track the popularity of pages that people visit in order to improve the quality of the site. There is no personal identifiable information collected in our log files.
Unsubscribing from Email Communications
If you wish to unsubscribe from our communications, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will regularly process these requests. To comply with federal election law, however, our contributor records will be continuously maintained in a separate secure database, and reported to the FEC as required by law.
Contacting us about privacy
Our site links to a limited number of other websites. Angus 2012 is not responsible for the content or the privacy policies of these third party websites. Any personal information you provide to those websites will not be subject to this Privacy Statement, and we encourage you to read the privacy statements for each website you visit.
You can also reach us via U.S. Mail at:
Angus King 2012
P.O. Box 368
Brunswick, Maine 04011
Last Revised: May 2, 2012